Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm not rotten, ya'll

Last week I got to pondering the fact that I haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years. It might have been the fact that I felt a slight "discomfort" in a back tooth on the right side. Nothing to be alarmed about, of course - just a a reminder that teeth do have the potential to rot out, you know, if say - you consisently don't go to the dentist year after year.

So, I called, and wouldn't you know that they had an appointment bright and early yesterday morning. I apologized profusely to Erica because bless her, who wants to have to clean teeth that haven't been to the dentist in 3 years? She was just the sweetest thing and even said "it wasn't that bad" when she was all done. I might need to buy her a prize.

The Doc came in next and said that he was a little concerned about my 2 bottom fillings because they were cracked and really worn down. I shouldn't be surprised since they're about 20 years old (you know, the ugly silver ones) and he was nice enough to tell me I could come right back this morning and have them replaced.

I also inquired about getting this wretched permanent retainer OUT and when I told him I've had it for about 17 years, he said absolutely. I'm just going to have to admit to ya'll that I was a little giddy thinking about that GOOD happy gas. And they did not disappoint, she stuck that thing on my nose first thing and I started breathing in as fast as I could. Ya'll! That's some good stuff.

Of course, I did have that Kenny Chesney song going through my head "he started drilling before they were numb..." But, thankfully, I was completely numb and didn't feel a thing. Unfortunately, I pretty much didn't get any feeling back till about 3 this afternoon. In light of that, I felt totally justified going to Sonic this afternoon for an Oreo Blast since I hadn't eaten anything and they told me a shake or smoothie would be about the best thing.

That's my update on my teeth. They're clean and not rotten!

5 comments:

Mollie said...

You still get laughing gas? I had one of the strangest "trips" on that when I was a kid - the dentist turned into Mr. Peanut and the assistant was a monkey. Haven't had it since...

mamahensmama said...

My Jill without a retainer. What is the world coming to?

MamaHen said...

I needed some Happy Gas with my headache yesterday morning. So glad your teeth aren't rotten. You know Abbie says she wants to be a dentist (????) and then you can get free teeth cleaning. Although by then we may just be taking ours out and cleaning them in a little cup.

Jill said...

Oh my word! I would love it if Abbie was a dentist. Maybe she would let me come in once a month and just take a Happy Gas nap. That's probably illegal or something...

Mollie said...

They used to sell hits of laughing gas in New Orleans - I can't remember what they called it - Poppits or something, and yes, Jill, it's illegal. Not something that would ever appeal to me - imagine being in New Orleans surrounded by Mr. Peanut and monkey men...