Monday, March 30, 2009

Sometimes, things are just not what they seem

Ya'll, I just had a memory that made me laugh out loud. (Don't worry, Jay thought I was laughing at the TV. I'm watching House and you know how funny it is when somebody's stuck in a coma-like state but their brain is fully functioning.)

Anyway, I got to thinking about a couple of Christmas's ago when one of my Great-Aunts gave me a toaster. It was really sweet but I had never mentioned anything about needing a new toaster because let's face it, my $9.99 toaster from Wal-Mart has been working perfectly fine for the past 10 years or so.

In case you didn't know this about me, I don't have a really good track record for returning things. I drive my friend, Jill absolutely crazy because I'll buy something without trying it on, it doesn't fit, and then it sits in my closet until I end up giving it to the Hannah Home.

Again, anyway... I was really proud of myself one Saturday morning because I got up, headed to the Wal-Mart to return the toaster. I got my sticker from the checker lady at the door and then stood in a line for forever and a day. I finally made it to the front and answered a couple of questions about whether or not anything was wrong with the toaster to which I replied, "No, no - It's fine, I just have a toaster already." Ya'll, she opened that box and no lie, there were 2 jars of peanut butter in it. I thought I was going to die right then and there. She was looking at me like I was trying to pull something over on her. It was horrible. There were so many people in line behind me.

I just started sputtering apologies, grabbed my toaster box of peanut butters and got the heck out of dodge. It just goes to show, don't ever judge a toaster box by it's cover.

P.S. You'll be pleased to know that it was really good peanut butter - Peter Pan (one Crunchy and one Creamy).

P.S.S Got any good gift stories?

7 comments:

Kerrie said...

That is hilarious! I have never heard that story. I bet I can guess who the toaster was from-Aunt Affie???

mamahensmama said...

Now how did Kerrie know that was from Affie?

MamaHen said...

Jill, I had completely forgot about that story! I am laughing so hard Tyler just came in to check on me. I wish I could have been there soooooo much to see your face. NOTE: always open the box!!!

Kerrie said...

Just a wild guess! ha ha ha

Mollie said...

Wow. I can't compete with that one.

Mrs. Jennifer said...

So wendy needs to confess what she got the year that you got peanut butter...a new wardrobe?...diamond earrings?...LOL!!!!

I can definitely hang with that story. Brandon's grandmother goes to "the thrift store" every day and fills her house with loveliness. When it gets close to Christmas, she walks through her house and fills up a box or plastic bag and hands them out. Oh, just to me, though...everyone else gets money.

JILLSHUBBY said...

I laughed because I remembered when you started laughing during house and I wondered what you were laughing about.

I have a gift story for everyone...one summer jill and I were on a trip for credex to Orange Beach and we went to lunch on my 35th or 36th birthday (I forget which). You'll never guess the gift she had for me...NADA! NOTHING! She had forgotten all about my birthday! Isn't that a funny gift story?