Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Really True

Ya'll, I was in Spin Class this morning and I heard something so distressing that it has not escaped my mind all day. In fact, I'm not sure I will ever be able to forget this as long as I live. My instructor made a little quip about some woman that got stuck on the toilet for 2 years. I thought she was joking until several people chimed in and actually knew what she was talking about.

How did I miss this? I don't even know how to voice my feelings. I just Googled this and it is true! I had somewhat hoped that maybe I had gotten punked. Apparently, this woman had a boyfriend who brought her food and water for 2 years and then finally on 2/27/08 decided to call somebody to get her some help.

WHAT! How do you leave somebody on the toilet for 2 years? He basically said that he would ask her to leave the bathroom but she would say she didn't want to come out. I have no words. OK, maybe a few. Where was her family, friends, etc.? I mean, does this need to go on the back of a driver's license like organ doners? Do I need to make a living will stating that I do not want to be left in a bathroom, specifically sitting on the toilet for so long that my SKIN GROWS TO IT?? Let me shout it to the mountaintops of the internet THAT I DO NOT WANT TO BE LEFT IN A BATHROOM FOREVER!

Clearly, the woman was not stable. I read that apparently she had some kind of tramatic childhood experience. So maybe this woman had a mental excuse but WHAT ABOUT THE BOYFRIEND?? There's no way any normal person would leave someone in a bathroom for 2 years!

This is going to haunt me.

Here's a statement from a neighbor. "It really doesn't surprise me," Ellis said of the bathroom incident. "What surprises me is somebody wasn't called in a bit earlier." Ya think?

5 comments:

MamaHen said...

Jill, I had heard about that story too. I wonder why they have not gotten that boyfriend for abuse. I mean if someone locks someone in a room for two years that would be kidnapping or something. I know she did not want to come out, but why did he not call someone in to help. Very wei.

MamaHen said...

Oh, and if I do not hear from you in two years I will definatley be asking Jay where you are.

Jennifer said...

Um.....I'm actually speechless! Just sitting here thinking what to type - or say - or think! But, really...I'm speechless. (and a bit weirded out for life if I think about it too much) :)

Peeperspage said...

I remember that story. Where were you? CRAZY world we live in Jilly

Aspiemom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I love meeting new people!

I read about that story last year and just couldn't believe it. We talked about it for days with "What about...", "How could...?" Sleeping, going to the bathroom (or didn't she have clothes on?), was there a TV in there, wasn't she numb? We had all kinds of questions. How can someone not get help for that? I mean, that was a serious problem!

Good for you for checking to see if it was true, tho!